Do you want to design learning games, but you’re not sure where to get help? I suggest listening to the learning game guru, Karl Kapp. He is an Instructional Technology Professor at Bloomsburg University and an author of many books on learning games (see Resources below).
In addition to teaching and writing, Karl speaks and consults on topics related to the convergence of learning, manufacturing, and e-technology. He helps organizations transition into learning organizations through the effective application of technology.
- Latest trends in games and gamification
- Differences and similarities between games and gamification
- The evil trifecta of gamification
- Game elements that are highly motivating
- Advantages of games for learning
- Commercial gamification, game tools and learning game developers
- Criteria for selecting a learning game vendor
- Philosophical approach to making your courses game-like
- Are “fake games” okay?
- Deconstructing engagement
- Learning research on games: criteria for a well-designed game
- Common novice mistakes in game design
- Sensible uses of VR
TIME: 37 minutes
TRANSCRIPT: Check back. Coming soon.
- Karl’s Website: Lots of great information. Be sure to check out Kapp Notes
- Zombie Sales Apocalypse: Game designed by Karl
- Play to Learn: New book by Sharon Boller and Karl Kapp
- The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: by Karl Kapp
- The Gamification of Learning and Instruction Fieldbook: by Karl Kapp, Lucas Blair and Rich Mesch
Gamification Tools Mentioned:
- Knowledge Guru
- Insight Hub
- Open Badges (Listen to an interview about badges)
- WordPress gamification plugins
- Desire 2 Learn
- Growth Engineering
- Poll Everywhere
Game Tools Mentioned:
Learning Game Developers Mentioned:
Find success with online learning with articles, tips and resources delivered to your Inbox once a month.