If we want to facilitate behavior, performance and attitude changes, than we need to spend more time and effort thinking about the psychology of the audience members we are designing for. In this session, I speak with Victor Yocco, PhD, about some of the psychological principles that impact design.
Victor is the Research Director at Intuitive Company. He works with clients in diverse fields applying principles of psychology and communication to improving products. He is also the author of, Design for the Mind: Seven psychological principles of persuasive design. You can get a 39% discount when purchasing this book from the publisher. Use the discount code yoccomupad and this link: https://www.manning.com/books/design-for-the-mind. Enjoy the conversation!
- Relationship between psychology and design
- Value of interviews, observations and co-designing
- Psychology of changing attitudes
- Psychology of decision making
- Primacy effect
- Extrinsic and intrinsic motivation
- Influence and persuasion
- Influence through visual design
- Social influence and learning (Social Identity Theory)
TIME: 39 minutes
- Victor’s website: http://www.victoryocco.com/
- Victor’s book: https://www.manning.com/books/design-for-the-mind (use code yoccomupad for 39% discount)
- Academic journals and papers by Victor Yocco: http://www.victoryocco.com/academic/