How often do we look at the actions, thoughts and feelings of learners over time to better understand what they experience while they are working, using a learning management system, taking a course or seeking support and help? In this episode, I interview Jim Kalbach, author of Mapping Experiences: A Complete Guide to Creating Value through Journeys, Blueprints, and Diagrams.
Jim entered the design world as an information architect and has worked in various design-related consulting roles for large companies, such as eBay, Audi, SONY, Elsevier Science, LexisNexis, and Citrix. He is currently Head of Customer Success at MURAL.
- What a user experience map is and what it can include
- How to categorize and diagram actions, thoughts and feelings
- How to identify a user’s feelings during an experience
- How experience maps foster important conversations
- How Jim got interested in experience maps
- Aligning experiences to the organization
- Choosing the right map for the problem
- Using constraints to understand a problem: point of view, scope and focus
- Five phase process for mapping
- Maps for learning experience design
- Tools for creating user experience maps
- Mental model maps
TIME: 32 minutes
TRANSCRIPT: Download the ELC 033 Transcript.
- Mapping Experiences by Jim Kalbach
- Experiencing Information: Jim’s website
- MURAL: Cool collaboration tool and where Jim works
- Touchpoint Dashboard: Customer journey management software
Get smarter about online learning with articles, tips and resources delivered to your Inbox once a month.