When designing or developing an online course or app, how much effort do you put into the small interactive details? In this episode, I chat with Dan Saffer about the surprising importance of those little details. Dan is Creative Director of new products at Jawbone, where he designs next generation products and services for wearables and consumer electronics. He is a well-known interaction designer and the author of four books on design, including Microinteractions: Designing with Details.
- Difference between microinteractions and regular interactions
- Look and Feel and what it really means
- A model of microinteractions: trigger, rules, feedback, loops or modes
- How to put a little personality into your feedback
- Little interactions that bring pleasure and/or pain
- Why context and user goals are key to good design
- How to know whether your design is creating a positive experience
- Tools for designing microinteractions
- Creating a style guide for microinteraction styles
TIME: 25 minutes
RATE: Rate this podcast in iTunes.
TRANSCRIPT: Download the ELC 027 Transcript.
- O Danny Boy: Dan Saffer’s Website. Be sure to check out his books and articles.
- Microinteractions: Designing with Details by Dan Saffer
- Little Big Details: a community collection of microinteractions
- Design A Day: some designs
Get smart about online learning with The eLearning Coach Newsletter delivered to your Inbox every month. Ideas-articles-freebies-resources.