Subscribe in iTunes or Stitcher.
In an age when information changes quickly and skills are being reinvented, a formal course may not be the appropriate solution. When knowledge is more of a flow than a static entity, you may prefer to design a learning environment. This is a collection of resources and activities that are curated for a specific learning need.
In this episode, I speak with Catherine Lombardozzi, author of Learning Environments by Design. Catherine has developed a framework for designing learning environments that should be of great interest to those who design learning experiences.
Catherine is founder of Learning 4 Learning Professionals, and author of the forthcoming book, Learning Environments by Design (preview available free here). In her consulting work, Catherine focuses on the professional development of designers, facilitators, learning consultants, learning leaders, and faculty and she advises people who are looking to create comprehensive learning and development strategies in many different contexts. Catherine holds a doctoral degree in Human and Organizational Learning from George Washington University.
- Difference between learning environment and learning ecosystem
- Why we need a new paradigm for learning development
- How Web 2.0 influences learning
- Four types of learning environments: Blended Learning Hub, Knowledge Exchange, Learning Resource Portal, Collaboratory
- How to assess the most effective learning environment for a need and an audience
- Situations when designing a learning environment is most effective
- Intrinsic motivation and self-directed learning
- Research supporting learning environments
- Five processes for creating learning environments
- How a learning environment has to be designed and maintained over time
- How to get started designing learning environments
- What’s in store for the future of learning professionals
TIME: 32 minutes
TRANSCRIPT: Download the ELC 019 Podcast Transcript.
- Learning 4 Learning Professionals (Catherine’s Website)
- Related Book Resources
- John Seeley Brown
- John Hagel
Don’t miss a thing! Get The eLearning Coach delivered to your Inbox every month, with ideas, articles, freebies and resources.